Video games for any format are here to stay; many of them come in more than one format, like for Nintendo Wii and Xbox. While there are many out there, we wanted to search out the top five based on sales history and popularity with gamers. We will try and discuss the top five, their ratings in the sales department, and give you a quick idea of their plots and characters.
1. Pokemon Series – While there are many, the most popular in sales have been Pokemon Red, Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Gold amp; Silver selling over 175 million units. There are many generations of the Pokemon collection but the red, blue, gold amp; silver were the highest in sales. Gamers can choose to be various Pokemon characters; there are 151 species in all from Bulbasaur to Mew. Game play includes capturing, training, battling and, trading the characters that reside in the fictional world of Kanto.
2. Super Mario Brothers – This series has been extremely popular with Super New Mario2 (Mario Madness) released in 1988 selling 10 million copies, Super Mario Land released in 1996 selling 14 million copies and Super Mario Brothers 3 in 1990 which sold 18 million copies. The main characters are of course Mario and his brother Luigi who have an ultimate goal of saving the Princess Peach. The gamer travels from one level to another and his character can gain strength by landing on “mushrooms” and indestructible for a short time by colliding with stars. As the characters travel along to try and save the princess, they can gather coins; 100 coins gives the character and extra bonus life.
3. Grand Theft Auto – This popular series is also known as GTA. Released in 2001, it has spouted GTA: San Andreas, and GTA II and III selling over 70 million copies. This action adventure driven game includes role-playing, driving, stealth and racing. It has been criticized for it’s adult nature and violent themes. Mostly there are protagonists along the gamer’s way from the criminal underworld. These protagonist’s motives vary from game to game and many Hollywood actors have offered their voices to this game.
4. Halo – The Halo series which has sprung Halo, Halo2 and Halo 3 has sold over one hundred million copies and perhaps is the most popular series of all time. First released in 2001 it is available in a PC and Mac format. The theme of this series is science fiction based and its main characters include the Master Chief, who escapes his prison aboard the ship known as the Pillar of Autumn. Cortana, an A.I. who assists the Master Chief with selecting coordinates throughout their journey. There is also the warrior Arbitor who joins two humans, Miranda Keyes and Sergeant Jackson in the ultimate battle against the Covenant (an enemy alliance of alien races), who claim to defeat humanity by the year 2535.
5. The Sims Series – First released in 2000, this video game series has sold over 52 million copies, which includes The Sims, The Sims2 and The Sims3. While there were initially no defined goals for this series the gamer creates virtual people called “Sims.” They can choose to build a home or live in a pre-constructed home. As they travel along their journeys the game reveals through the gamer each “Sims” moods, attitudes and, desires. Sims 2 and 3 are in a 3D environment where the Sims grow from infant to adulthood, then age and eventually die. There are more opportunities here offer real time week days and weekends and the Sims can buy Aspiration Points after they receive Aspiration Awards. Two other families, the Pleasant family and the Goth family appear and cause dilemmas.
If you’ve never heard of any of these games, go to your local retail outlet, buy the first in the series and continue on from there. If you have grandkids or kids, we hope this helps you understand a little more about the top five video games available for gamers.